The Piers Plowman Electronic Archive, a collaborative open-access project, presents the rich textual tradition of Piers Plowman, a fourteenth-century allegorical dream vision attributed to William Langland. Three distinct versions of the poem (A, B, and C) survive in more than 50 unique manuscripts, none in Langland's own hand. The Archive enables instructors, students, and researchers to explore late medieval literary and manuscript culture through the many variations of Piers Plowman. The long-term goal of the project is the creation of a complete archive of the medieval and early modern textual tradition of Langland's poem.
To go straight to a text, select the edition you would like to view from the menu or go to the main texts page for more information.
The Piers Plowman Electronic Archive is protected under the copyright laws of the United States and the Universal Copyright Convention. Publication or commercial use of any of the copyrighted materials without direct authorization from the copyright holders is prohibited. The copying of materials from the Archive is permitted only under the fair-use provisions of copyright law. By accessing the Archive, you are agreeing that you have read and accepted the terms of copyright.
Editors & Project Staff
- Robert Adams, Sam Houston State University
- Patricia R. Bart, Hillsdale College
- Paul A. Broyles, North Carolina State University
- John A. Burrow, The University of Bristol
- Michael A. Calabrese, California State University, Los Angeles
- Matthew Evan Davis, McMaster University
- Hoyt N. Duggan, University of Virginia
- M. Gail Duggan, Associate Editor
- Eric Eliason, Concordia College
- Ralph Hanna, Keble College, Oxford University
- Katherine Heinrichs Rehyansky, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Judith Jefferson, The University of Bristol
- Jim Knowles, North Carolina State University
- Eugene Lyman, Independent Scholar
- Stephen Shepherd, Loyola Marymount University
- Timothy L. Stinson, North Carolina State University
- Thorlac Turville-Petre, The University of Nottingham
- Míċeál Vaughan, University of Washington